Transport Ministry spells out COVID-19 safety measures for trotro drivers Featured

By Isabella Agyakwa March 19, 2020 1997 790 comments

The Ministry of Transport has directed all commercial bus (trotro) drivers to wash their vehicles after every trip.

The order is one of a raft of measures against person-to-person spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19).

The drivers have furthermore been directed to spray their vehicles, using Ministry of Health-approved materials, before and after every journey. They are also to avoid overloading.

The sector Minister, Kwaku Ofori Asiamah, who announced these directives yesterday at a press briefing, warned that sanctions would be used against recalcitrant drivers.

"The transport operators came up with the directive that, henceforth, any driver who fails to comply with these measures will not be allowed to load any passenger in their respective stations," the Minister announced.

Entry points

Taking his turn at the briefing, the Deputy Controller of Immigration in charge of command post and operations, Laud Ofori Afrifa, told journalists that officials from the Ghana Immigration Service had returned flights coming in from certain countries to Kotoka International Airport.

They also prevented a number of foreign nationals from entering the country through the land borders.

“Two Italians travelling on Air France were refused entry into Ghana on Monday, while 24 Chinese and one German national were also subjected to the same on Tuesday,” he said.

He added: “Another German and two Australians, who attempted to enter Ghana through the Aflao border, were also stopped and sent back to their countries. Another Nigerian who had returned from South Korea four days ago, and was attempting to enter Ghana from the Aflao border, was also denied entry."

He further disclosed that an Ethiopian Airlines flight that managed to land at Kotoka Airport on Tuesday was refuelled and asked to fly back to its destination with all the passengers on board.

Case count / contact tracing

So far, 381 people have been identified as having been exposed to COVID-19 in Ghana, the head of public health at the Ghana Health Service has told reporters.

Dr Badu Sarkodie said at yesterday’s press briefing that all the contacts are linked to the first six coronavirus patients in Ghana.

He added that contact tracing results for the seventh patient has begun, and that none of those identified has shown signs of COVID-19.

Battle-ready

Information Minister Kojo Oppong Nkrumah also told journalists that the government, though hoping for the best, is preparing for a worst-case scenario.

“Health experts tell us that the next two weeks are going to be critical in determining whether or not we are going to get significant community spread. They tell us that the general theory of pandemic management is that, often, it is likely the numbers go up a bit before it curves or the situation gets better.

“Therefore, they are bracing for the possibility of some limited recordings of more cases in the medium term, but they continue to assure us that the systems they are putting together and continue to ramp up are such that we will be able to contain it and hold this virus in check,” the Minister said.

Rate this item
(0 votes)
Last modified on Tuesday, 24 March 2020 19:54

790 comments

Leave a comment

Latest Tweets

NPP CONDEMNS POLICE ATTACK ON LAW STUDENT PROTESTERS: The New Patriotic Party yesterday condemn... https://t.co/axawaALrgn
“GHOST OF SADA” HAUNTS MAHAMA: NORTHERN DEVELOPMENT AUTHORITY EXPOSES ROTTEN $9.5M TRICYCLE DEAL: https://t.co/RA9a4fhTtY
PRESIDENT LAUNCHES NATIONAL PLAN FOR FIGHTBACK AGAINST PLASTIC WASTE: With plastic pollution be... https://t.co/ZAwJ4LRh5Q
Follow The New Statesman on Twitter