Ghana Air Force launches investigation into cause of jet overrun Featured

By News Desk January 23, 2020 609 0

A preliminary investigatory team has been established to explore the cause of an overrun by a Ghana Air Force jet on the apron of the Air Force Base in Accra yesterday.

A release from the Ghana Armed Forces said the team has been given 48 hours to come out with a report on what caused the crash of the aircraft, a CASA C295.

The statement, signed by Colonel Eric Aggrey-Quashie, director of public relations, said Airbus, the manufacturer of the jet, has been notified of the incident, which occurred during a routine engine run at 11.10am.

“They are expected to fly in a team to join their Ghanaian counterparts for a thorough assessment of the aircraft damage. It is worthy to note that the aircraft is recoverable,” the statement said.

No casualties

The statement confirmed that there were no casualties, and also that there were no passengers on board the jet.

The CASA C295 aircraft, manufactured in November 2015 and delivered in February 2016 (registration number GHF552), was scheduled for a routine check in November 2019.

However, it had been non-operational since October 2019, the statement said.

“The Ghana Armed Forces wishes to assure the public, and especially its clientele, that the Ghana Air Force is still operational and its activities have not been affected by this incident,” Colonel Aggrey-Quashie said. “The morale of personnel is high and all are going about their normal activities.”

Rate this item
(0 votes)

Leave a comment

Latest Tweets

NPP CONDEMNS POLICE ATTACK ON LAW STUDENT PROTESTERS: The New Patriotic Party yesterday condemn... https://t.co/axawaALrgn
“GHOST OF SADA” HAUNTS MAHAMA: NORTHERN DEVELOPMENT AUTHORITY EXPOSES ROTTEN $9.5M TRICYCLE DEAL: https://t.co/RA9a4fhTtY
PRESIDENT LAUNCHES NATIONAL PLAN FOR FIGHTBACK AGAINST PLASTIC WASTE: With plastic pollution be... https://t.co/ZAwJ4LRh5Q
Follow The New Statesman on Twitter